"Why so serious?"

Posted by redthil On 10/01/2008 11:32:00 PM

Batman: The Dark Knight - Exceeded most of my expectations. And almost all the credit goes to the awesome performance by Heath Ledger as "The Joker". The Joker's scruffy and grungy make-up is intended as a reflection of his "edgy" character. What a performance by him. Amazing... Has become my most fav actor and movie character. but sad to know that there wont be any more movies from him.


In his penultimate film performance, Ledger plays the Joker in The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan, the sequel to the 2005 film Batman Begins, first released, in Australia, on 16 July 2008, nearly six months after his death. While still working on the film, in London, Ledger told Sarah Lyall, in their interview published in the New York Times on 4 November 2007, that he viewed The Dark Knight's Joker as a "psychopathic, mass murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy." To prepare for the role, Ledger told Empire, "I sat around in a hotel room in London for about a month, locked myself away, formed a little diary and experimented with voices — it was important to try to find a somewhat iconic voice and laugh. I ended up landing more in the realm of a psychopath — someone with very little to no conscience towards his acts"; after reiterating his view of the character as "just an absolute sociopath, a cold-blooded, mass-murdering clown," he added that Nolan had given him "free rein" to create the role, which he found "fun, because there are no real boundaries to what The Joker would say or do. Nothing intimidates him, and everything is a big joke." - Wikipedia

And adding to these were the dialogs/quotes for this character and the way The Joker delivered those were simply incredible. Though The Joker is insane, i would say his quotes makes complete sense, without any doubt. Here are few of my favorite quotes of The Joker:

> I'm a man of simple tastes.

> And I thought my jokes were bad...

> Now I see the funny side. Now I'm always smiling!

> It's a funny world we live in.

> You just couldn't let me go could you?

> This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

> I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.

> Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?


> You'see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little...push.

> The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules.

> See, I'm not a monster...I'm just ahead of the curve.

> If you're good at something, never do it for free.

>
You have nothing, nothing to threaten me with. Nothing to do with all your strength.

> I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, you... you complete me.

> Never start with the head, the victim gets all fuzzy.

> This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them.

> It's not about money... it's about sending a message. Everything burns!


> Does it depress you, ... To know just how alone you really are?

> Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just do things.

> You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are.

> Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all, part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

> Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

> You've changed things... forever. There's no going back. See, to them, you're just a freak... like me!

And my most fav of all...

"Let’s put a smile on that face!" And..... Why so serious?



"Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that’s not an overstatement). It’s the “Godfather II” of comic book films and three times more earnest than “Batman Begins” (and f**k, was that an earnest film). Easily the most adult comic book film ever made. Heath Ledger didn’t so much give a performance as he disappeared completely into the role; I know I’m not the first to suggest this, but he’ll likely get at least an Oscar nod (if not the win) for Best Supporting Actor. F**king flick’s nearly three hours long and only leaves you wanting more (in a great way). I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed by it. Nolan and crew have created something close to a masterpiece."- Kevin Smith.


0 comments

My Photo
redthil
Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends.
View my complete profile

Labels